Sunday, March 9, 2014

Connections: The Transatlantic Cable and Golden Ladies

I am having fun continuing my search for interesting bindings in general and ones with gilt motifs in particular.  I just found this excellent page written by Steven Baird for www.common-place.org, where he documents the life and the business of a bookbinders tools and die maker, Samuel Dodd,  in New Jersey in the 1800s.   

The connection to my blog post that featured the gold stamped binding on Robert Buist's book is the publisher J. C. Riker.  When I followed Riker I found Dodd who supplied Riker's firm with the stamps.



Here is another of Riker's publications.  I do not know if this is a Dodd design.

Would you believe this image is from the webpage History of the Atlantic Cable & Undersea Communications from the first submarine cable of 1850 to the worldwide fiber optic network19th Century Albums by John C. Riker and Other Makers?

Funny world, isn't it?:-)  To see the connection, which is very cool, visit them.  There is no link on the above page to the parent page, so here it is.

So where are the seeds, you ask?  No clue, I answer! I suppose it is part of the magic of seeds that gets us to read a bit more about the technological magic the transatlantic cable represented in 1858!  






No comments:

Post a Comment