Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Compare and Contrast - Different Decades of Design

Yesterday I posted a handful of similarly styled seed company stationary from 1875, '76 and '80 which used multiple fonts and no images.  Today's examples are just 3 years later and have a much more exuberant style with fancy fonts and images and even color!


 Nice postcard design.

This is an oddball design.  It is like some wedding invitation with a corn cob on the side.  


I love Henry Maule's  pride in his business.  "The handsomest seed warehouse in America"!!!



Ye gods...

 This McCullough's envelope is a something of a hybrid...the old typefaces over a subtle image.  Nice.

Breck had a formal take on the arrangement.  The old multiple typefaces and a puppet theater presentation of the graphic.

This one is boring.  All the joie of a funeral arrangement.



 Not to say everyone was getting into the florid designs.  Below, Ferry is quite sophisticated.  Check out this typeface and design! Very modern, the dernier cri of fonts.  

By the way, I am only chatting away here based on my general knowledge...so I may be totally off base.  

I don't think I am, mind you, but this is not a scholarly page - just a casual observation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment