Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Eureka! Found Some Beautiful Rice's Seed Packets


Most seed companies bought stock seed packets from printers and had their name printed over the stock image. Rice's, on the other hand, commissioned distinctive artwork for its envelopes. (I got that bit of info from an auction description so take it with a grain of salt...but it does look to be accurate.)

 I could not find any images of the packets for weeks, finally writing to the Ephemera Society of America as they mentioned online they had some and did intend to put them up some day.  I said I hoped they would!!  An hour later I found some small images, then the large images here.
Weird.

The packets are unique to Rice as far as I can tell.  I haven't seen them elsewhere (not that I am a packet collector). Another interesting detail is there is no lithographers name on the packet.










No comments:

Post a Comment