Thursday, November 27, 2014

1890 - A Short Tale, plus the Possum Nose Pumpkin










Maule's catalogs have style...  and it is distinctive to Maule!  They got more boring in the 1900s.

The last 10 blog posts have all had pumpkin pie as the theme.  I am pied out, but not pumpkined out yet!  

I wonder if Possum Nose pumpkin is still around somewhere.  The stem is quite bumpy. 

I had to look up opossum noses to see what is going on. The photo does show a lumpy nose tip on the animal...I guess that is the answer.

Later: Nope! Here is a 1886 description of the pumpkin which explains it (I think). "POSSUM NOSE PUMPKIN, Greg., '86. Fruit slightly oblate, hollowed about the stem, and terminating in a small cylindrical protuberance at the blossom end; ribs obscure, surface smooth, slightly warty; pale salmon color, with whitish stripes; 

And, tying that into Thanksgiving, I am still thankful for the World Wide Web where 'possum noses are at my fingertips! 




No comments:

Post a Comment