Wednesday, July 2, 2014

1893 - Telephone Peas?!




Telephone Peas!     
The 1893 analog of 1969's Jet Star tomato?  Seedsmen know the value of naming their vegies, in these two cases after something really new and exciting.

The Livingston's Sons catalog page describing Telephone Peas is below this Heroine Pea engraving.
(Can you tell I love vegetable engravings?)



Actually, it was the Heroine Pea that first got my attention. This is the sort of engraving that makes my heart go pitter-pat! 

And in a tip of the hat to my cantaloupe loving husband, below is the colorful back cover featuring a Nutmeg melon variety.


Cantaloupes, I read somewhere, became popular after the Civil War even though they had been around since the 1700s.   I think it must be due to more extensive and illustrated catalogs.  Can you think of another reason?


Yummy looking illustration! And I don't like cantaloupe.



I know when they are ripe when the house smells like garbage...something about the taste and smell pushes negative reaction smell buttons in my nose.








No comments:

Post a Comment