Sunday, January 24, 2016

1931 - Bean Portraits, How I Love Them!

I have always loved lovingly painted bean portraits.  I figured out how to do it may years ago with my watercolors.  It was fun.  But this job must have been quite the challenge since the people who were critiquing the work really knew their beans!!  I wonder if my practice beans are still in my old sketchbook...
I wish this was a better scan but many thanks to the Biodiversity Heritage Lab for having one as good as this.  Others I have found online are bigger but awful quality.

These color plates are from 1931 work, The Vegetables of New YorkFrom the preface: 'The Vegetables of New York is intended to be a more or less complete record of the vegetables grown in New York State."  

Don't overlook the names! There are some good stories in them.







Below is my old friend the Lazy Wife pole bean :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment