Sunday, May 20, 2018

They Better Taste Good!...

Haven't seen pollinators.  I was hoping my bees would like them.
Four years ago I was amused by the story of the Wonderberry, and posted Vials of Contempt - The Wonderberry Story.   

Then, last fall, I bought the seeds for Schwartzenbeeren from Baker's Heirloom Seeds, completely forgetting what I had written years ago.    

This is the stage mine are at today.
It was quite the surprise to have my old post come up when I was looking for info on the Schwartzenbeeren! (Also know as Schwartzbeeren, blaubeeren.)


I find I did not buy the Burbank's improved Solanum nigrum which was named the Wonderberry, just the historical favorite
brought to the United States by the Volga Germans.

What I was looking for was recipes, however, not history this time.  The plants look very eager to inundate me with little berries.

The plants in their pots are already covered with flowers and the start of berries so I planted many of them yesterday.  Maybe too early, given the weather report of 49º at night, but they had been hardened off so out they went!  (It also opened up room in the cold frame for the next batch of plants.)

NEXT DAY:  It's hot outside.  The plants are well watered by the rainstorm. They are very happy.  

I wonder how long before the first ripe berries???!!!




This recipe is from a PDF available from the North Dakota State University - Libraries.
Schwartzbeeren Cream Pie 

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell 
3 cups Schwartzbeeren 
1 Tbsp. flour 
1/2 cup cream 
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten 
a pinch of salt 
3/4 to 1 cup sugar 

Meringue (recipe follows) 
_____________________________________
Preheat the oven to 400º F. 

Place the Schwartzbeeren in the pie shell. 

In a bowl, blend the flour with a little of the cream until smooth. Then add the rest of the cream, the egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue that will go on top the pie), salt, and sugar. 
Mix thoroughly and then pour over the berries. 

Bake the pie 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 ºF. and bake until the custard is well set (a knife blade inserted into it should come out clean). 

Remove the pie from the oven and top with the meringue. 

Return the pie to the oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes more, or until the meringue is golden brown.

Let cool before serving. 

Meringue: 
Combine 3 egg whites, 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. 
Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. 
Add 6 Tbsp. sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition. 

Beat 3 to 5 minutes longer, until all the sugar is dissolved and the whites are satiny and form stiff peaks. 

Apply the meringue to the hot pie, smoothing it to the edges of the crust to keep it from shrinking. Make peaks in the meringue with the back of a spoon.

(Return the pie to the oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes more, or until the meringue is golden brown.)

4 comments:

  1. Did I say? I didn't like them at all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at baker creeks catalog and searched Google for the schwartzenbeeren. What was it that you didn't like about them?

      Delete
  2. Aaaww. Sorry to hear that, because I just received my packet of Schwartzbeeren seeds in the mail.
    On another note, my dad's German ancestors were Mennonites who came to the U.S. from the region of Russia which is now the Ukraine. I didn't know they were referred to as Volga Germans. Interesting. Thanks. I had heard that they brought winter wheat sewn up in the hems of their skirts.
    I'm still going to give my seeds a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear it is a "you like it or you don't" sort of berry, Anita :-) Maybe you will like it!!

    ReplyDelete