Saturday, May 10, 2014

The New Pansies of 1835


I have begun to poke around looking for pansy art and gossip and I found this wonderful series of publications with these to-die-for tinted engravings.  You should go to the Biodiversity Heritage Lab to view the 19 volumes of  The Floricultural Cabinet and Florist's Magazine.  I noticed while dipping into many of them that the calceolaria was a very popular flower in the 1830s.  Are calceolaria at garden centers now?  You know how you don't see what you aren't looking for often?...maybe I just haven't noticed them.  They are fascinating in engravings!




That carnation below is something, too!!  I have only seen wimpier streaked carnations in real life.  Why do I only see blah carnations in stores? Perhaps I do not go to the sort of stores that have them.

I like the white ones that are everywhere and adore the smell, but I could fall in love with flowers like this boldly marked Princess Clementine!! Who was she?



Later:
I believe this is she.













No comments:

Post a Comment