Sunday, May 18, 2014

1800s: A Boring Baltimore Business and Some Interesting Baltimore Facts


Truth be told, I can't find much on Messrs. Sinclair and Roberts.  In fact, they are boring.

I did find a bit that takes Robert Sinclair out of the category of seed dealer to the more respected (in my eyes) level of grower.  That article is right below this 1826 children's book which I find charming and was published in Baltimore.


On the positive side of things I bumped into tons of interesting bits about Baltimore!  Images that caught my imagination are at the end of the Sinclair and Moore (from 1825, 1826) bits.  Their firm existed for a couple more decades I think, but I don't care to follow them.




 
This article jumped out at me as I work in Manchester, CT where a very large silk industry once thrived.  The idea that silkworm growing in  New England would be a viable industry is an interesting wrinkle in the fabric of history!  (I coudn't resist :-)

The following is interesting as now we graft grapes to hardy root stock all the time.




 1885 Piedmont Airline on the wharves?? from Maryland Historical Society


This took a little bit of poking around, but here it is:

"In 1872, the R&D extended aid to the Atlanta and Richmond Air-Line Railway to help it complete its road between Charlotte and Atlanta. The line was to become a key link in the "Piedmont Air Line,” a system of railroads across the southeast."

The above is from a really good train history site,  RailGa.com, that is worth visiting if you are train-ish.

I still can't find why early train lines were Air Lines.   Down another rat hole...oh boy!!










No comments:

Post a Comment